My Family

My Family
Our family...of four! We are finally complete!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I'm Not Selfish Enough?!

What an interesting title right?! That was a comment the hubby made to me tonight as we were eating dinner out in our backyard on the patio enjoying a beautiful warm spring Vegas evening. We were talking about our future, and what it might have in store for us.  We are hoping to have a diagnosis soon for why we might not be getting pregnant (and NO, it is not to "just relax"...) and so we were having the whole "what if?" conversation.  That brought up the topic that my hubby said I don't allow any time to do anything really for myself.  He said (in a very kind way) I don't have anything for relieve my stress or to allow me to relax. And this is who I am, a very frantic kind of person who takes everything I am told so personally (like parents of my students complaining or an issue with a kid in class)  This specifically came up because I have been having so many headaches lately.  My hubby is a head high school baseball coach, and enjoys it immensely. He shared with me tonight that he feels most at home on the field and said that is where it gets to release a lot of his stress, throwing the baseball, yelling occasionally (oh, who am I kidding? It's probably frequently knowing the man I love, lol), and being so in tuned with the game and the kids. He quite literally said, my hillbilly hubby, that coaching baseball makes him as "happy as a pig in s#!t." Gotta love the man.

But this really got me thinking, what do I do for myself? I occasionally splurge and go to the spa to get a massage or a facial (well, ok, maybe once a year) and I don't stop myself from buying a book every now and then that I know I will one day stick my nose into.  But really, I don't do a lot that "relaxes" me on a regular basis.  And when thinking about it, I couldn't even really name something off the top of my head that I could say would be my go-to relaxing activity (like yoga or swimming or anything like that...notice I how associate relaxing with some kind of physical activity? Maybe that's my problem. hehe.).  I sometimes will lounge in the bath, but I feel that all I end of up doing is thinking about how I need to be better at really thoroughly cleaning my tub and shower, or I will walk the dog on a nice sunny afternoon, which helps me escape reality for a bit.  The one thing my hubby pointed out that he knows helps relax me are my friends.  I take walks every once in a while with a friend and I think just the act of walking, sweating and gossiping really works.  Unfortunately, with life and such, we can't do it all the time.  So...this got me to thinkin'! What can I pick up, a hobby or activity so to speak, that can take me away from reality for just a little bit and help me to "find my happy place" in order to relieve some stress (and hopefully eliminate some headaches too)?

Here's where you come in friends! What are some suggestions to help a girl become a little more stress-free in this oh-so-stressful world we live in today? And secondly, who wants to join me trying some of the out?! =)

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...I think that it really has to be something that you're interested in getting into. I have to say, when I started bike riding last year, I really found something enjoyable-an activity that also pushed me to limits I never thought possible in a (relatively)short amount of time. You really have to get into whole-heartedly; I know that giving up wasn't an option for me. So, through my dedication, I found something I loved because I had to work for it- I had to want it. I'm sad that I stepped away from it for so long, but am excited to start training again, and you're more than welcome to join me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...