My Family

My Family
Our family...of four! We are finally complete!

Monday, March 28, 2011

As The World Turns

(This is my standing ovation to all the mommies in my life, near and far! I applaud you!)

Have you ever just sat during a moment in your life and wondered, How did I get here? And I don't mean this in a bad way either.  I have had those WOW moments lately as I have sat and observed so many of my friends as mommies.  I must say, it is a surreal yet wonderful moment.  I went through so many different chapters in my life with these women in my life, from failed relationships to a new bustling city, from finding ourselves to finding our significant others.  It has been an awesome journey, and now I sit back and watch some of the most amazing women in my life experience motherhood.  It's funny how I can remember back to my childhood playing pranks, dancing on the bleachers at the out-of-town park, learning how to drive, lazy days out at the lake and now I see these girls wiping faces and kissing owies (had to look that spelling up!). And the thing is, I admire my friends.  They have reached that newest chapter of where most of our lives are taking us. I see them get overwhelmed at times with the overly tired child, or the tantrum that they know is going to last a while and then those moments where the child grabs her hand and tells her in a soft voice, "I love you Mommy." I just sit and think, When did we all grow up? And then another thought hits me...When will it be my turn?

Enough of the self pity and wallowing. Most of the time I am amazed at how my friends are going through this self discovery of motherhood.  Some know what they are doing because they came from large families with lots of little ones always running around (ok, know what they are doing to a point, but this are the ones I consider very confident with mommy-hood) and others are figuring it out as they go.  I commend them for that.  The amount of patience I have witnessed with a hurt child or the lack of sleep, fussy child is awesome.  I keep thinking, this is why I was meant to wait.  Patience is not always known as my strongest quality. I am also one of those kinds of people that for the most part needs to see someone else do something before I do. You jump off that 30 story building with only a small wire holding you and land smoothly, then I'll do it! Go ahead! This little tidbit is something I am famous for with regards to my twin.  She was the first one to get the job life guarding and I thought if she could do it, I could do it.  She moved out first...then I moved out.  She got married...well heck, then so can I (that one took about 5 years later to convince myself I was capable...oh yeah, and to find Mr. Right too!). =) So now it stands that my sister, and many of my friends have built their families with one or two, and some with even three, little ones running around.  Did I say running? Yes, my friends have kids that are going to be old enough to babysit my little one someday with such a gap in ages.  LOL!

I mean, when did our lives become BBQs in the backyard chasing toddlers and watching giant questionably shaped characters dance and sing (I'm referring to some giant one eyed creature on a show I can't think of the name of...I know, I know. That will be my reality someday)? Haha, clearly "our" is used loosely here.  I have loved all the chapters in my life, whether good or bad, and what they have brought me.  And now that I have started to witness this new ritual called raising a child, I think I can put all my chips in.  So, "put me in coach" (in honor of MLB opening day coming up)! I am ready! And thank you mommy friends for being such great encouraging (even when sleep deprived and speaking in tongues) examples! I bow down to you and your power to be that superhero to those little ones in your lives!  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...