My Family

My Family
Our family...of four! We are finally complete!

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Part of a Sisterhood



One thing I never expected going into this whole infertility world was the sisterhood that I would be joining.  It has been AMAZING! I was first blown away by the amount of women, some I am quite close to, who have experienced issues with their fertility (and for the most part, I didn't know).  But I am so comforted by the bond I now have (some with complete strangers that I have met and since become friends with)! This experience, trying to get pregnant for almost 2 years, then going into a fertility clinic and going through IVF (actually coming to terms with the fact that I am considered infertile) is something I never imagined would be a reality for the hubby and me. But more than just having all of this bring my hubby and I closer in our marriage and relationship, I have had some beautiful friendships come out of it.  It is crazy to think of women having to go through this silently.  I am grateful for the many voices out there starting to speak up about it (which is evident by the amount of blogs I have been tuned into lately too).

Truly, I am just grateful for the women that have been so understanding since even before the first shot in my tummy because they could relate to what I was going through.  Now don't get me wrong, I am very grateful for all the support from ALL of my friends and family, but there is a certain ununexplainable bond that happens between women who are going or have gone through this.  It helps to have someone to bitch to about the knots in my butt from the progesterone in oil shots, can relate to the agony of watching hCG levels every two or three days post transfer, and who actually get excited by the number of follicles that are developing before a retrieval! I know that someday soon I will join the sisterhood of motherhood, but 'til then, I relish this small, intimate (and largely humorous!) sisterhood that has welcomed me with open arms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...