My Family

My Family
Our family...of four! We are finally complete!

Sunday, May 8, 2011

What Makes a Mother?

To start off today, Happy Mother's Day to all the beautiful women I know who are mommys, are about to be mommys, and of course those who someday will become mommys!


As I walked around at a little Farmer's Market today, I had several of the venders that I bought from wish me a Happy Mother's Day.  This got me thinking...can I not take it as a compliment, even though I myself have not given birth to a child? Not sure "raising" two fur babies counts exactly, but I'll grasp at whatever I can! What exactly (beyond of course the qualifying pushing a watermelon sized child through a very small, private area) can make someone a mother? Just because a woman didn't give birth to you, does that mean you can't love, respect, and honor her as a mother? IMHO (I love this acronym, it means in my humble opinion) I think that a "mom" is someone who...
*loves a child unconditionally
*is there to teach a child right, wrong, love, forgiveness, patience, understanding, life lessons as well as manners...and as we know, the list goes on and on
*is there to brighten a child's day
*listens when a child needs to vent
*yet, gives advice when she knows it is needed
*gives a hug when that little moment is helpful
*cheers loudly with smiles and encouraging words for a child
*And the list is endless!

Mothers come in all shapes and sizes. And some mother-figures come into your life when you least expect it. I truly believe that Mother's Day is a day to look at those women in our lives who do their little part, show that extra bit of love and concern, and just want nothing but the best for us.

I want to send lots of love and hugs to my mom today. I don't think she will ever know how truly wonderful I think she is. She has made my life so full and happy, with endless love, laughs, experiences and lessons! She has taught me what it means to love unconditionally and has showed me what I only hope I can someday emulate as a mother myself. I also want to send love to my mother-in-law who has loved me since the moment I followed her son into her house and scared the crap out of her! =) She has always called me the daughter she never had, and has embraced me over the last 4 years like she has had me in her life since the day I was born! And to my sister, who I have watched embody motherhood over the past 5 years, you are amazing! You have showed me how important humor is for mothers.  I admire you for all you do and look forward to someday sharing many more experiences together as mother twins!

Finally, to all those mothers in my life...my friends who I have watched move on to a whole new chapter of our lives of becoming mothers, you are all beautiful! You have allowed me to be a close part of your lives and now your children's lives and I thank you for that.  You are all doing such an amazing job and I appreciate you all "keeping it real" for me, never shying away from telling me how tough motherhood can be at times...because we all already know that it a beautiful experience like no other.  And those who have treated me like a child of your own, you have helped shape me into the woman I am today and although not without faults, I am all the better because of you!

Happy Mother's Day all!!! And remember, some "mothers" may not exactly be the woman who gave birth to you, and how lucky you are to have more than just one "mom" in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...