My Family

My Family
Our family...of four! We are finally complete!

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Fertile Myrtle?!

So I am can't exactly be categorized as a "Fertile Myrtle," or else I am sure I wouldn't have this ttc blog.  But I feel like I can toot my own horn today! I can say that my "reproductive parts" came through for me with the retrieval of 19 eggs! So, here is the gist of what it took...


Yesterday, I went in for the retrieval process after 10 days of 2-3 different kinds of injections (not the greatest part of the process, but a growth experience for me and my hubby to have together!).  On Sunday, we got the thumbs up to take a double trigger (2 shots to prepare for the retrieval). Monday was a sit and wait kind of day. Then Tuesday, all systems go.  The hubby and I went in for our 10:15am appointment.  I was sitting in a slim-to-nothing gown with an IV going by 10:30 and was in the operating room by 10:45.  The last thing I remember was the nurse who was going to knock me out telling me,"Now I've just given you a little something to help you relax.  It is going straight into your blood stream, so you should feel it pretty soon."  I look at her and smile.  Sure, yeah, whatever you say.  Then it hits! Woozy galore and I laugh a little and say to her, "Oh yeah. I think I feel it." Then...blissfully out! She later said that I was still awake at that point and talking with her because I still hadn't received the sedation drug (I've always been a cheap date, lol!).  Nice! Hope I was appropriate.  Knowing my woozy alter ego, I was probably barking directions.  =)

Half an hour later I was becoming more aware of things. At that point, the nurse said that my hubby could come  back and sit with me since I was the last patient that morning.  For some reason I started crying.  Haha! The nurses, being their sweet selves, just kept saying it was the drugs.  Classic me move! Soon, Dr. S came back and told us that it went really well and that they retrieved 19 eggs.  He also let us know what card had been pulled since we were a part of the freeze study.  We were chosen for the blastocyst stage, meaning that our fertilized eggs would be frozen 5 days later.  How exciting! I have a great feeling about it all and we got some more good news today.  The doctor called and said that 13 eggs were fully fertilized.  Still good numbers! Now we wait for another update in 2 days, on Friday, to see how many have made it up to that point.

The funny thing is what my hubby said at dinner.  We were sitting, eating when he looked at me as said, "We have 13 kids." I looked at him funny, thinking he just randomly mentioned how maybe his old baseball team had 13 kids come out to practice. Then I got it.  He was proud of our fabulous number of possible little ones.  I love it. Way to think positive honey! Of course, then he said we could field a soccer team, a football team or a baseball team.  I added, we could still have some left over for cheerleaders! Oh, nothing like taking life in stride!

And even though I am not the typical candidate to be considered a "Fertile Myrtle," I will gladly wear my badge of honor for this esteemed current accomplishment! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...