My Family

My Family
Our family...of four! We are finally complete!

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Just sign on the dotted line...

Have you ever signed your life away and then thought...what did I just do? Like buying a house, a new car, anything big and major? And then in some cases, people even have what they call "buyer's remorse."  Hehe, well, that is not what we did today but it was a HUGE step in the baby department for the hubby and me.  Today was the day that we signed the paperwork to confirm that we will be doing IVF (fertilization of my eggs with the hubby's goods in a lab and then planted back in my cushy, comfy uterus...and then resulting in a little mini-me or mini-hubby) and we will also be participating in a case study.  Very official business I guess you could say and no "buyer's remorse" at this point!  The hubby and I left the office feeling a little anxious, but overall really excited.  This is the next chapter in this novel which could easily just be about our infertility struggles. If only I could come up with something original and fascinating about it all, I'd really write a book and could make millions and then I wouldn't have to stress about how much any of this is costing.  LOL!  The case study that we were invited to be a part of has to do with the freezing of the embryos, and more specifically it will study the results of freezing them about 1 day after embryo development (2PN) versus in blastocycst stage, which is 5-6 days into development.  We don't get to choose.  It's random, what they call a blind study.

When Dr. S was telling me about it, I said, "Oh, like they are doing on Grey's Anatomy!"  A huge smile flooded his face and he said yeah that was kind of like that.  He then went into how he was watching the show with his wife (he made it sound like he was tricked into it, but something tells me he is a real fan!) and how it is similar to that, but that he doesn't even know which is picked for each patient (the 2PN freeze or the Blast freeze) until after the whole retrieval process  because it is a double blind pick.  Fascinating!

So, thus continues our journey.  The medication is being ordered and a barrage of appointments have been made for various blood tests and ultrasounds starting in just a matter of a few weeks.  I am told by friends close to me that if I ever thought I was emotional or hormonal before (ha, not me!), I have another thing coming! I just hope to keep the humor and positive thoughts throughout...and if I am not, some friends better give me a swift kick in the behind along the way! Either way, I figure my students are screwed.  =) They have the unfortunate circumstance in all of this, as they will see the brunt of my emotions and such, and have completely NO CLUE what is wrong with their teacher! That should make for some interesting blog posts.  Until then...keep in mind that Infertility Awareness Week is April 24th though April 30th!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...